Old 09-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Janice

Default Getting rid of a hedge

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 03:07:44 GMT, Ron wrote:

I just had someone cut a deciduous hedge down to ground level thinking
that if I cut it down before it started growing again this spring, it
might not come back. However, the guy that cut it said it would just
grow back unless I put "something" on it to kill it. Can someone
please tell me what I can do to make sure it doesn't come back? Don't
know what kind it is but I see them everywhere. It's about 60 feet
long and quite old and thick, so whatever the solution is, it can't be
very labor intensive. Thanks

Ortho Shrub and Brush killer. Stuff kills elm trees! Cut it as close
to the ground as possible, paint the freshly cut surface and any
exposed bark with it full strength, never had any regrowth. Elm trees
are stubborn to kill, so I'm impressed. If it's too short to cut
again to get a freshly cut surface, there are dilution rates for
spraying, but as I've never used it as a spray, I cannot attest to
it's effectiveness there, but I'm sure you'd have to allow some
regrowth in order to spray it .. for it to take the spray down to the
root zone in order to kill it.

Janice