Old 09-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Kay Easton

Default Weed ID please

In article , andrewpreece
writes
Difficult one this, as I can't get a picture of the weed. They're starting
to come through now, light green broad leaves thrusting up through the earth
( the leaves come up directly, there is no central stalk, the leaves are
folded in half along the centreline as they come up ).
The stalks are not round IIRC, but more like lettuce stalks. In
fact, the whole plant resembles a lettuce ( not that you'd want to eat it )
eventually, with tongue-like leaves growing outwards and upwards.

Does it grow in a flat rosette on the grown? Or does it grow taller,
like a lettuce that is bolting - your comment below suggests a rosette
or a cabbage shape?

Are the leaves lettuce-like, ie thin and light green, or do they get
thicker? Are they smooth or hairy? Are the edges smooth or serrated? How
big are the individual leaves?

I let some
grow last year and they got to over a foot across., but I never saw any
flowers or central stalk.

It might be biennial, is growth one year, flowers the next. Try letting
grow some of the ones you let grow last year, and see what happens this
year. Identification is much easier when you have flowers.

The young leaves are vaguely D shaped, slightly
finely serrated, maybe with a touch of red in the stalk occasionally. The
plant spreads by rhizomes, white, some 2-3mm across.

I haven't the faintest!! A foot across is quite a big beast.

Have a look at coltsfoot (white downy underneath), alkanet - dark green
leaves with short bristly hairs, persicaria (another member of dock
family), nippleweed, small flowered willowherb.

I don't necessarily think it's any of these, but if you could look at
them and say how they differ from/are similar to yours, it's help with
the identification.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: