Old 09-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Unique Too

Default Antique roses at...WalMart?

What you are finding is the rootstock. It is not a parent of the original
rose. Many of the roses sold are grafted onto the roots of a different rose.
The rootstock you have growing is probably Dr. Huey.

If you cut the runners off of *new* roses, such as
tea roses, and plant them elsewhere, they return to their old-rose state.
Am I mistaken? I've done this quite a bit and get wild looking roses, a
different color from the original and they're climbing, not tea roses. Even
if they don't revert back to old roses, it's a beautiful vine. One of my
Tropicans was replanted on the other side of my yard, just runners, and it
took off like the wild roses do. It's a deep red instead of orange like the
Tropicana, and has only one row of petals on each rose. I've never quite
understood this.....It's prolific though! Covers my back corner fence in
abundance. Much thornier than a tea rose also. I do know that it's probably
one of the roses that the Tropicana was bred from, but curious to know if
it's indeed a *wild rose*, or an *old rose*.

kate