Old 09-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Fish tales

Default electric fence for ponds?

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message ...
"Fish tales" wrote in message

* They would be useless against bullfrogs and snakes, two of the worst
predators of fish in some areas.

I have considered putting a narrow band of small-holed chicken wire
around the bottom.

Owls?

Yes! That is something rarely reported in the fish world. But several
times I have watched great-horned owls sit on branches overhead
looking for the best bite, and one left a calling card of a few
feathers after scooping up a brand-new gold butterfly koi -- a quick
$40 dinner!!

* Why are the squirrels chewing holes in the netting? Thirst? We're
crawling with squirrels here and they've never touched the netting. Why not
try to put a birdbath on the ground for them? I have seen squirrels
drinking from our birdbath is summer.

I have LOTS of extra water around for deer and squirrels and birds.
But for some unknown reason, they want to get in the pond area and rip
up the marginal plants and drink from there. This, too, I have
witnessed time and time again... I even have an australian shepard
who does her part in keeping them up trees, AND an low sonic device
that is supposed to annoy them, but they persist!!

You said something about heavy bird neting. I wonder if that is
differnt from the netting I use, which is fairly light. Do you have a
resource? I appreciate your thoughts. I'm in NC so we probably have
similar situations.