Old 09-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Rod Out back

Default chilli/garlic spray - pet deterrent

"Raels" wrote in message
u...

"Jock" wrote in message
I find a lead spray is satisfactory. Nominally, about 55grains at

3,200fps will discourage any further feline visits.
Failing that, ammonia on the visiting cat's starfish region will make it
associate visits with pain - hopefully staying away. I really do not

like
cats. There is no way I see them fitting into our country unless they

are
kept inside, away from our wildlife, sandpits, places they spray with

urine
and generally being a pain in the bum to us who enjoy the idea of a

little
wildlife about, not having to be scared of entering the food chain via a

cat.
Jock

Hmmmmmm, lead spray. 55 at 3,200..... now you've lost me.

why would ammonia cause 'pain'? I thought it'd just provide an unpleasant
smell. *shrug*

I think Jock is suggesting shooting the cat; 55gn projectile doing 3200 feet
per second sounds like a .223 rifle to me. Not the best idea for suburbia.
I would probably be using Jocks' solution if a cat appears in my back yard.
I dont have any pets, and the nearest neighbour is 12 kms away.

He was also suggesting spraying ammonia on the cats bum. Bound to hurt
something fierce. Probably a bit cruel on the cat, even for an anti-cat
person like me.

Back to the problem at hand, I wonder if some of that hot-foot bird paste
would work on a cat? It is used to stop birds roosting in sheds & hangars
etc. Smear it on the places where the cat comes over the fence. I know one
person in this group said they hadnt had any success using it against
possums in her roof, but maybe a cat would find it unpleasant on their paws.
You might be able to smear it along the tops of all the posts. It would
certainly be a much cheaper option than setting up a huge sprinkler system.
Mind you, the sprinkler system does the least harm to the cat(aside from his
pride...).

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Stuff Deleted Here