Old 10-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Dick

Default Fine sand

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:54:37 -0400, "Kim" wrote:

I came across this very fine desert sand at a local pet store yesterday. I
was wondering if it's possible to grow plants in it? The guy showed me how
very compacting it can get, so I won't use too much for the planted areas.

The sand is actually meant for reptile tanks, but the guy had it in a tank
with puffers and bumble bee gobys.

I plan on getting some watersprite or low to medium light plants.

-Kim

I have one 10 gallon tank with very fine sand I got from a friend. I
think he used it for sand blasting gun parts. The tank has about 1.5
wpg so I planted low light plants. This tank has always been a
problem to me, but I don't know how to explain it. Plants grow ok,
(not great except the Crypts, well the Anubia has gone huge) the fish
look ok, but the tank doesn't "feel" right. Can;t say it is the sand
for sure. I have two other 10 gallon tanks, one has very colorful
(blue and white) gravel and the other has no sand or gravel as it is
my quarantine tank. (I keep a few fish in the Q tank to keep it
cycled) Both have more healthy feels to them.

If you use it I hope you will post your experience after a few months.
I wish I could get to "like" this tank as it is in my bedroom, but it
is my least loved tank.