Old 10-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Kim

Default Fine sand

I came across this very fine desert sand at a local pet store yesterday. I
was wondering if it's possible to grow plants in it? The guy showed me how
very compacting it can get, so I won't use too much for the planted areas.

The sand is actually meant for reptile tanks, but the guy had it in a tank
with puffers and bumble bee gobys.

I plan on getting some watersprite or low to medium light plants.

-Kim

Old 10-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Dick

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:54:37 -0400, "Kim" wrote:

I came across this very fine desert sand at a local pet store yesterday. I
was wondering if it's possible to grow plants in it? The guy showed me how
very compacting it can get, so I won't use too much for the planted areas.

The sand is actually meant for reptile tanks, but the guy had it in a tank
with puffers and bumble bee gobys.

I plan on getting some watersprite or low to medium light plants.

-Kim

I have one 10 gallon tank with very fine sand I got from a friend. I
think he used it for sand blasting gun parts. The tank has about 1.5
wpg so I planted low light plants. This tank has always been a
problem to me, but I don't know how to explain it. Plants grow ok,
(not great except the Crypts, well the Anubia has gone huge) the fish
look ok, but the tank doesn't "feel" right. Can;t say it is the sand
for sure. I have two other 10 gallon tanks, one has very colorful
(blue and white) gravel and the other has no sand or gravel as it is
my quarantine tank. (I keep a few fish in the Q tank to keep it
cycled) Both have more healthy feels to them.

If you use it I hope you will post your experience after a few months.
I wish I could get to "like" this tank as it is in my bedroom, but it
is my least loved tank.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Moontanman

I use nothing but fine sand (somtimes over a peat layer) usually it's just
bulding sand. All my tanks with sand are the healthiest tanks i have ever had.
I have been keeping fish for aobut 41years. The past 20 years has been with
nothing but fine sand. Lately I have found a type of sand called Taitian Moon
sand which is black but still fine sand. Fish colors show up better over a dark
substrate. But anyway, since I started using sand I have had much healther
fish, plants, and even clearer water. I stopped using filters at all and just
use an overflow into a sump where the detritus can settle out of the water. I
use clams to give the water what little filtering it gets. Cape Fear
Spadderdocks do especially well in sand as do most sword plants and other
plants with agressive root systems. I will never use gravel again! Of course
this only applies to tanks that are meant to be set up a long time. Tanks that
are over loaded by fish such as holding tanks need both bio and partical
filtration. I use lots of bogwood which causes my water to take on a weak tea
color. pH stays at or a little less than neutral and the water is moderately
hard in most of my tanks. Most fish live naturally on sand or mud, most fish
really like to dig in sand even run it through their mouths and out their
gills. I have done a lot of freshwater scuba diving and I have watched fish in
the wild for hours at a time. Fish like sand an or mud substrates in the wild.
Even fish that live in pebbly stream beds (which is a small percentage of fish)
do well over sand and often seek out sand under rocks to rest or make nests. My
sand tanks often have a layer of detritus covering large sections which fish
also seem to like. Clams prefere these areas and feed on the detritus. I have
nothing bad to say about sand, it works great for me and I am glad I started
using it 20 years ago. Carbonate sand even works great in marine tanks and is
the prefered substrate for reef tanks which I also keep.

Moon

I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

builders sand instead of horticultural sand jw 111 Texas 15 24-08-2005 02:46 PM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 04:20 PM
How do I get fine leaved plants to grow ? Prakash Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
[IBC] Are you serious, fine art etc Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 14-04-2003 02:56 PM
Are you serious, fine art etc James Quinan Bonsai 0 14-04-2003 01:44 AM