Old 10-04-2004, 09:33 PM
andrewpreece

Default Weed ID please

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , andrewpreece
writes
Much research leads me to the conclusion that the mystery weed is
a member of the Asteraceae(=compositae) family, that is, Hawkweed

(Hieracium
Anglicum???? ).

There's an orange flowered hawkweed which is thought to be a garden
escape. It seems to sit around for quite a long while (at least a couple
of years) before flowering. It's quite good at suddenly appearing in a
garden in fair abundance.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Trust me, no-one would grow this in their garden voluntarily - it doesn't
look good enough. I've just had another look at some example, and in fact
the leaves are shaped like a broad spear with slight barbs on either
trailing
edge, there are stems, not very long, like dock, but there all the same, and
young
leaves are purplish underneath, with a few hairs on the centreline. The
colour fades back to the stem as the leaves get more than a couple of weeks
old. It's no good me describing it in words, I'll try and borrow a digicam
and see
if anyone recognises a picture,

cheers,

Andy.