Old 11-04-2004, 08:33 AM
JennyC

Default Red Lily Beetle

"MissJuggs" wrote

I've got these. I realised I had them last year when I found them
growing on the fritarillaria meleagris. I wasn't too fussed, however,
because the lilies seemed to survive, and didn't become too ragged. I
drowned the pair or two that I found.

snip

And I'm just wondering whether or not this appears to be a reasonable
thing to do. Am I likely to kill or reduce the infestation this way?
I caught 13 of the beetles yesterday, and one got away. With regular
inspection, and a repotting so that they are less crowded, along with
an application of a fairly beneficial insecticide for a couple of
months, am I likely to make a difference?
Glenys

Sounds a reasonable solution Glenys. I get them too on my lilies but picked them
of and destroying them seems to work for me. You just need to be vigilant and
keep at it. By killing them of now you might prevent them from laying eggs.

The RHS has a lot of info on them and a research program:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp

Jenny