Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 PM
MissJuggs

Default Red Lily Beetle

I've got these. I realised I had them last year when I found them
growing on the fritarillaria meleagris. I wasn't too fussed, however,
because the lilies seemed to survive, and didn't become too ragged. I
drowned the pair or two that I found.

Yesterday, however, I caught thirteen of the monsters, in a different
part of the garden (the fritarillary seem to be OK this year) and
drowned them all. I have a trough planted with lilies that I have
been meaning to replant. Not sure of the exact sub species. The
majority of the beetles that I caught were on chives, actually, but
chives that were in very close proximity to some legacy lilies that I
inherited when I bought this house, not exactly sure of the sub
species there. These lilies already have very ragged leaves. I
cannot, as yet, see any trails of eggs on the underside of the leaves.

I have been meaning to unpack and replant this trough - it is replete
with bulbils and stuff. I had been meaning to plant up some bulbils
in a smallish pot and pass them on to a friend of mine.

I would like some advice as to what I should do next. I am tempted
just to chuck all the lilies, get rid of them, no more lily beetle,
haha. I have just done fairly extensive research, and this group,
amongst others, has reccomended Provadol (?), Malthiol, and Neem.
Also, people have said that catching the beetles and larvae and
killing them eventually brings the numbers down.

What I want to do is unpack this trough of lilies, repack some of the
grand old ladies (untouched by raggedness, at leas this year), dump
the compost into land refill, along with unwanted bulbils, repack, and
then either apply Provadol (?) or Neem (malthion is a nono from having
googled on it) or just do the hunting thing, and maybe dig up and
chuck out the legacy variety that apppears to be most strongly
affected.

And I'm just wondering whether or not this appears to be a reasonable
thing to do. Am I likely to kill or reduce the infestation this way?
I caught 13 of the beetles yesterday, and one got away. With regular
inspection, and a repotting so that they are less crowded, along with
an application of a fairly beneficial insecticide for a couple of
months, am I likely to make a difference?

Glenys
--
"A Newsweek poll said if the election were held today, John Kerry
would beat Bush 49 percent to 46 percent. And today, President Bush
Old 11-04-2004, 08:33 AM
JennyC

"MissJuggs" wrote

I've got these. I realised I had them last year when I found them
growing on the fritarillaria meleagris. I wasn't too fussed, however,
because the lilies seemed to survive, and didn't become too ragged. I
drowned the pair or two that I found.

snip

And I'm just wondering whether or not this appears to be a reasonable
thing to do. Am I likely to kill or reduce the infestation this way?
I caught 13 of the beetles yesterday, and one got away. With regular
inspection, and a repotting so that they are less crowded, along with
an application of a fairly beneficial insecticide for a couple of
months, am I likely to make a difference?
Glenys

Sounds a reasonable solution Glenys. I get them too on my lilies but picked them
of and destroying them seems to work for me. You just need to be vigilant and
keep at it. By killing them of now you might prevent them from laying eggs.

The RHS has a lot of info on them and a research program:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0500/beetle.asp

Jenny

Old 11-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , JennyC
writes
By killing them of now you might prevent them from laying eggs.

Are these the ones that drop off when you go near so that you put a
sheet of greased paper underneath to catch them??
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:08 AM
MissJuggs

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:26:06 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

By killing them of now you might prevent them from laying eggs.

Are these the ones that drop off when you go near so that you put a
sheet of greased paper underneath to catch them??

Yup. Except that I have been putting a jam jar lid underneath and
then tipping them into some soapy water contained in the jam jar.

Looking at the grey grey outside. I really need to go out and sort
these lilies out now. Another cup of coffee, first.

Glenys

Old 12-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Neil James

Digging up all your lilies sounds a bit excessive to me. Lily beetle can do
a lot of damage in a short time, but with regular inspections you can keep
the numbers down. I had been simply squishing them up until last year, but
my Dad suggested a product called 'Bug Killer' which really does seem to
keep them at bay. Regular applications of this spray at monthly intervals
should do the trick.

Neil

Old 18-04-2004, 03:45 AM
MissJuggs

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:11:57 +0100, "Neil James"
wrote:

Digging up all your lilies sounds a bit excessive to me. Lily beetle can do
a lot of damage in a short time, but with regular inspections you can keep
the numbers down. I had been simply squishing them up until last year, but
my Dad suggested a product called 'Bug Killer' which really does seem to
keep them at bay. Regular applications of this spray at monthly intervals
should do the trick.

They were in a pot, so I thought I should repot them ... while doing
so, I found that I had vine weevil as well. . Have now vine weevil
proofed all my pots, and have, indeed, got rid of the lilies, will
introduce some more in a couple of years.

Glenys

Old 18-04-2004, 05:42 AM
MissJuggs

wrote:

[...]

Lily Beetle '09 Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 29-04-2009 11:14 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 19 09-07-2003 10:08 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 06:32 PM
Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 09:32 PM