Old 11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
ajr

Default Slugs?

"david taylor" wrote in message
Pigeons don't like bags etc mounted above ground as described. Partridges
certainly ignore them as do rabbits.
Last year I recommended ld CDs as a deterrent to keep pigeons off young
plants.They work when the garden is bare but they were ineffective near

tall
overwintering brasiccas.
As for slugs the small ones that infest strawberries and potatoes are the
most difficult to deal with-and make me think of biological control,
although it is only advertised to last for 6 weeks.
"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , ajr
writes
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

We've had more than usual activity this year with pigeons attacking
mainly young brassica leaves. For that problem I erect 'one-minute-
scarecrows'. I grab a colourful empty 80 litre plastic bag, an 8ft.
runner bean pole and a flower pot. I push the pole into the ground near
to the targeted plants, turn the flower pot over onto the top of the
pole, then drape the bag cornerwise over that. Any slightest breeze sets
up motion and sound sufficient to convince even pigeons to go elsewhere.
The job takes less time to do than to describe - i.e. one minute or so.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan / David,

I hadn't thought of pigeons - being in the centre of a town they haven't
been a problem before. However there are definately more wood pigeons and
collared doves about this year - I will place a couple of
'one-minute-scarecrows' in the garden tomorrow.

Still a bit puzzled though - I would assume that they would eat the entire
plant, and not peck small areas of the leaves.

One other thing - David, what are you referring to when you mention a
'biological control'?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Andrew