Old 11-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Colin Lewis

This magazine also had a poster on horticultural chemicals that includes a
key to how the chemical works.

I think this is very helpful, if you are going to use chemicals you should
alternate the ones you use to keep the pathogen from developing resistance
as
quickly.

It's not so crucial for us as bonsai hobbyists, but it's essential that
the places from which we buy our potensai practice IPM (integrated pest
management). When I was participating in a survey of pesticide resistance
in greenhouses, it was clear that the number of oomycetes resistant to
fungicides differed significantly from operation to operation, and the
reason was probably that some operators used only one pesticide, while
others alternated among several.

It used to be that when resistance developed to one pesticide, chemical
companies would just develop another one. Nowadays, they're running out
of ways to create "new" pesticides, and it's essential to preserve the
ones we have, especially since we're trying to phase out the really toxic
ones (like methyl bromide).

Nina

PS on potensai- I've been buying mass quantities of plants from "Forest
Farm" nursery for my research, and have been pleased with them, so I
bought an order for myself to use as bonsai. They allow you to specify on
the form that you want the plant for bonsai- and the plants I specified as
such turned out to be, in fact, very nice potensai. So I recommend this
company.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++