Old 12-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Red

Default Opinions on "White Oil"?

What? Over.

"GeneS" wrote in message
Who ?

"Red" wrote in message
m...
You may want to try Neem Oil, sold as a Green Light product named Rose
Defense. Good for smothering scale. I would urge caution on the

Orthene
on
Gardenias. I know on Hibiscus it will cause leaf drop.

"Scarlett" wrote in message
That does, indeed, help. :-) Thanks so much for the reply. I will

try
it
once. After that, I am going to the Orthene to get rid of the little

pests!

Thanks again!

"Elliot Richmond" wrote in message
| On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 19:42:24 GMT, "Scarlett"

| wrote:
|
| I have tried the baking soda and diluted milk methods on my

gardenias,
but
| the sooty mold is still clinging to the leaves.
|
| A Google search on the subject returned several suggestions about

"white
| oil." It seems that this will kill the insects that are creating

the
| problem to begin with, and further that it will serve to make

removal
of
the
| sooty mold much easier. Apparently, "white oil" is nothing more

than
| combination of vegetable oil and dishwashing soap--although it can

be
| purchased commercially.
|
| What has been your experience, if any, with this product, and would

you
| recommend it for my gardenias?
|
| I have not used white oil since we moved to Austin. But in Southeast
| Texas, we used it constantly on our gardenias and on our citrus

trees.
| The insects are known as white flies. They do damage the plant, but

| healthy plant can probably survive an infestation.. But the problem

is