Old 09-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Scarlett

Default Opinions on "White Oil"?

I have tried the baking soda and diluted milk methods on my gardenias, but
the sooty mold is still clinging to the leaves.

A Google search on the subject returned several suggestions about "white
oil." It seems that this will kill the insects that are creating the
problem to begin with, and further that it will serve to make removal of the
sooty mold much easier. Apparently, "white oil" is nothing more than a
combination of vegetable oil and dishwashing soap--although it can be
purchased commercially.

What has been your experience, if any, with this product, and would you
recommend it for my gardenias?

Many thanks!

Scarlett

Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Elliot Richmond

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 19:42:24 GMT, "Scarlett"
wrote:

I have tried the baking soda and diluted milk methods on my gardenias, but
the sooty mold is still clinging to the leaves.

A Google search on the subject returned several suggestions about "white
oil." It seems that this will kill the insects that are creating the
problem to begin with, and further that it will serve to make removal of the
sooty mold much easier. Apparently, "white oil" is nothing more than a
combination of vegetable oil and dishwashing soap--although it can be
purchased commercially.

What has been your experience, if any, with this product, and would you
recommend it for my gardenias?

I have not used white oil since we moved to Austin. But in Southeast
Texas, we used it constantly on our gardenias and on our citrus trees.
The insects are known as white flies. They do damage the plant, but a
healthy plant can probably survive an infestation.. But the problem is
white fly poop. It causes the sooty mold you referred to and this
blocks light and reduces the plant's ability to photosynthesize.

Apply the oil, let is sit a day or two, then spray vigorously with
clear water. The sooty coating will wash right off and the number of
white flies will be dramatically reduced. Several repetitions may be
necessary to eliminate the white flies completely. However, I seem to
remember there are limitations on how often you can use the stuff.

Hope this helps.

Elliot

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 10-04-2004, 03:33 AM
Scarlett

That does, indeed, help. :-) Thanks so much for the reply. I will try it
once. After that, I am going to the Orthene to get rid of the little pests!

Thanks again!

Old 11-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Red

You may want to try Neem Oil, sold as a Green Light product named Rose
Defense. Good for smothering scale. I would urge caution on the Orthene on
Gardenias. I know on Hibiscus it will cause leaf drop.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 PM
GeneS

Who ?

m...