Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Peter

Default suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrub Bushes

Greetings all..... Racking my brains out over here. (small loss).

Last year I landscaped a center circle in the neighborhood cul-de-sac, using
a magnolia, euonymous, plaintain hostas, gold hosta's and a variety of
other flowers, both annual and perenial. Well, the out of control deer herd
in this neighborhood, munched the euonymous and hostas..(and daylillies and
tulips).

So I"m stuck attempting to figure out a replacement for the euonymous...

They are in a semi- circle giving balance to one half of the circle. Everything
is designed to have these shrubs spaced evenly around the back end of
the magnolia.

Hollies and other stickies are not appropriate as there are children present.
Junipers were briefly considered but they are better for mass planting and
would not look good as a single standing shrub.

Looking for something evergreen, deer resistant that coordinates with the
leaf structure of the magnolia. Perhaps Nandina or Barberry. Thuja
was under consideration but it just doesn't coordinate with the sweet bay
magnolia.

Any suggestions for the Shrubs ?? This is zone 7A metropolitan Columbia
which means temperatures go from -5 to 105, where four years of drought
can be followed by two years of flooding. Area is in direct sun.

Are any hosta's deer resistant ?? I'm thinking of replacing them with
Hardy Gloxina but not quite sure.

Your thoughts are appreciate !!!

Thanks !!!

ps...btw..... decided NOT to go with the rubber mulch...too many negatives.
Just finished putting down shredded hardwood in the front gardens and leaf
mulch in the back.