Old 12-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Using (unusual) local trees?

Bonsai. Nevertheless, I've found myself with the audacity to draw up a
short list of common Pacific Nortwest trees/shrubs I'd like to try, some
of which are not "typical" material for Bonsai, to my extremely limited
knowledge.

Dude, you call that audacity? Apple? Cherry? Get a copy of "Forest Farm" nursery catalog- the nursery is in Williams, OR- and check out real native plants of the Pacific Northwest. There are wonderful things out there crying to be bonsai.

I greatly welcome any thoughts on using or trying these, in
general and/or for the beginner:

1. Madrona (the bark seems to naturally have a great "bonsai effect")

Reportedly difficult to transplant

2. Apple

You can find wild crabapples and bonsai them, no problem.

3. Cherry

Depends on the species. Many of the "sand" cherries make good bonsai, only they lose limbs unpredictably.

4. Camellia (sinensis)

They are very nice; it's a shame I'm doing a project where I infect camellias with diseases and kill them.

and finally

5. Rose ?????

Wild roses have been used for bonsai- I'd steer clear of inbred hybrids.

Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++