Old 12-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Using (unusual) local trees?

In a message dated 4/12/2004 5:40:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

. I greatly welcome any thoughts on using or trying these, in
general and/or for the beginner:

1. Madrona (the bark seems to naturally have a great "bonsai effect")

Don't know this but then I am in Florida

2. Apple

Some species of Apple have been used by the Japanese. The leaves will
reduce but the fruit will not, so if you have a choice pick a small fruited
one. The nice thing about Apple is that it blooms along the stem, so you can
prune and still get flowers

3. Cherry

Another traditional Japanese choice. Again there will be varieties that
will work better than others.

4. Camellia (sinensis)

Still another traditional choice, but also variety matters.

5. Rose ?????

One problem is that they bloom on the end of stems, pruning prevent
blooming.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++