Old 12-04-2004, 03:02 PM
J. Del Col

Default suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrub Bushes

Peter wrote in message . ..
Greetings all..... Racking my brains out over here. (small loss).

Last year I landscaped a center circle in the neighborhood cul-de-sac, using
a magnolia, euonymous, plaintain hostas, gold hosta's and a variety of
other flowers, both annual and perenial. Well, the out of control deer herd
in this neighborhood, munched the euonymous and hostas..(and daylillies and
tulips).

So I"m stuck attempting to figure out a replacement for the euonymous...

If you find one, let me know. Whitetail deer will eat just about
anything if they are hungry enough. This includes hollies,
rhododendrons, azaleas, roses, and various evergreens including
junipers, pines, and bald cypress. I have largely given up planting
much of anything that I can't grow indoors. If I do plant something
outdoors, I cage it in poultry netting. It's ugly, but it does keep
Bambi and his gang at bay.

A good rifle is the only sure remedy, but the Bambi huggers and
hoplophobes have made that solution unacceptable in most places.

J. Del Col