Old 12-04-2004, 10:33 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Will leaves falling in my mulch be a problem?

Leaf litter is an excellent soil amendment.

lbbs wrote:
=

We have lots of perennial flowers in our flower bed. (12 different
varieties or so- including bushes and roses, 15'x6' aprox garden) My w=

ife
was thinking of putting mulch between the flowers so the weeds would no=

grow (easier maintenance). I was not sure if that would be a good id=

ea
for two reasons. 1. when the leave accumulate in the fall time in o=

ur
flower bed, it will be difficult to get rid of them (hard to get a rake=

in
there). With dirt flower bet, what ever you can't rake out, it will
decompose with the rest of the dirt. And if you leave them in with th=

mulch, seeds will start growing there next year. 2. will perennia=

flowers be able to poke through the mulch every spring time? I alway=

thought that mulch is more ideal it you have a simple flower bed or aro=

und a
tree truck. what do yo think? thanks

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky