Old 12-04-2004, 07:07 PM
lbbs

Default Will leaves falling in my mulch be a problem?

We have lots of perennial flowers in our flower bed. (12 different
varieties or so- including bushes and roses, 15'x6' aprox garden) My wife
was thinking of putting mulch between the flowers so the weeds would not
grow (easier maintenance). I was not sure if that would be a good idea
for two reasons. 1. when the leave accumulate in the fall time in our
flower bed, it will be difficult to get rid of them (hard to get a rake in
there). With dirt flower bet, what ever you can't rake out, it will
decompose with the rest of the dirt. And if you leave them in with the
mulch, seeds will start growing there next year. 2. will perennial
flowers be able to poke through the mulch every spring time? I always
thought that mulch is more ideal it you have a simple flower bed or around a
tree truck. what do yo think? thanks

Old 12-04-2004, 07:07 PM
shazzbat

"lbbs" lbbs @dadffo.ca wrote in message
We have lots of perennial flowers in our flower bed. (12 different
varieties or so- including bushes and roses, 15'x6' aprox garden) My wife
was thinking of putting mulch between the flowers so the weeds would not
grow (easier maintenance). I was not sure if that would be a good idea
for two reasons. 1. when the leave accumulate in the fall time in our
flower bed, it will be difficult to get rid of them (hard to get a rake in
there). With dirt flower bet, what ever you can't rake out, it will
decompose with the rest of the dirt. And if you leave them in with the
mulch, seeds will start growing there next year. 2. will perennial
flowers be able to poke through the mulch every spring time? I always
thought that mulch is more ideal it you have a simple flower bed or around

tree truck. what do yo think? thanks

Leaves rot down to make an excellent mulch. Leaf mould we call it in UK.
Don't worry about the perennials, they'll be back. If You're really worried
about the leaves, grab big handfuls where you can and bag them up to rot
down and go back on the garden later. They can also be sucked up through a
leaf blower/shredder whatever. Some people pile them up and mow the pile.
Some people push them en masse under bushes/shrubs and forget about them.
Whichever method you choose, they will be good stuff.

Steve

Old 12-04-2004, 08:03 PM
JewelOfTheGnarf

how long does it take for them to become mulch?
I am thinking of using my maple and ash leaves from last fall as a weed
deterrent in my veggie garden this year by spreading them around the areas I
don't want weeds to grow (I usually use newspaper). Would this be a good idea?
Will the leaves 'rot' properly if I use them this way?
Old 12-04-2004, 08:32 PM
shazzbat

"JewelOfTheGnarf" wrote in message
how long does it take for them to become mulch?

They are mulch as soon as you apply them as mulch, or as "a" mulch if you
prefer. Some people use a layer of grit/gravel/slate chippings etc as a
mulch around container plants for instance. It means a protective or barrier
layer.

I am thinking of using my maple and ash leaves from last fall as a weed
deterrent in my veggie garden this year by spreading them around the areas

don't want weeds to grow (I usually use newspaper). Would this be a good

idea?
Will the leaves 'rot' properly if I use them this way?

Oh yes indeed. Last fall would have been better, but what I would do now is
dig them in and let the worms do their stuff. Or you can use them as a mulch
round the base of plants as a weed deterrent and to help to avoid drying
out.

Steve

Old 12-04-2004, 10:33 PM
J Kolenovsky

Leaf litter is an excellent soil amendment.

lbbs wrote:
=

[...]

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 12-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:47:38 -0400, lbbs wrote:

We have lots of perennial flowers in our flower bed. (12 different
varieties or so- including bushes and roses, 15'x6' aprox garden) My
wife was thinking of putting mulch between the flowers so the weeds would
not grow (easier maintenance). I was not sure if that would be a good
idea for two reasons. 1. when the leave accumulate in the fall time
in our flower bed, it will be difficult to get rid of them (hard to get a
rake in there). With dirt flower bet, what ever you can't rake out, it
will decompose with the rest of the dirt. And if you leave them in with
the mulch, seeds will start growing there next year. 2. will
perennial flowers be able to poke through the mulch every spring time? I
always thought that mulch is more ideal it you have a simple flower bed
or around a tree truck. what do yo think? thanks

Perennials and bulbs will grow right up through mulch no problem. As for
the leaves you can *gently* rake most of them out, the remaining will do no
harm but will actually do more good. Rotted leaves are a great soil
amendment. I mulch up and dig in some in my flower beds every fall. By
spring they are just about all rotted and composted.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN out there!
Old 13-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Pam - gardengal

"lbbs" lbbs @dadffo.ca wrote in message
btw: I want to use red wood much.

Bark type mulches are not ideal for a perennial bed - compost mulches are
much better. Mulches that are comprised primarily of wood products tend to
deprive the surface soil of nitrogen which can affect the growth of
perennials (much less of an issue with woody plants). Any type of good
organic, medium textured mulch will help to supress weeds as well as retain
soil moisture and reduce temperature fluctuations. It is no problem to allow
leaves to remain on the bed during the winter - they should break down
considerably during that period, adding to the soil fertility, and what
remains in spring can be cleared away when you do your annual clean up. The
perennials will poke easily through a layer of mulch (or leaves - actually a
valuable mulch in their own right) when they emerge in spring but it is best
not to pile the mulch over the immediate crowns of some, like peonies and
hellebores - it can contribute to rot and fungal diseases.

btw, an annual organic mulch is a good idea for ANY planting area - trees
and shrubs, a perennial border or even a vegetable garden.

pam - gardengal