Old 13-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Tom Randy

Default need lawn help...please

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:10:25 -0400, Bluesman wrote:

Greetings,

I have a small back yard, maybe 50 x 100, that is in horrid shape. A
couple of years ago my dog did his business everywhere, and I think all
that **** messed up the soil.

For the past 3 years I have laid lime, fertilizer and seed, as well as
grub killer the past two years, but my lawn looks like a lot in the
ghetto. About 1/2 grass of 5 different shades of green, 1/4 giant mutant
weeds and 1/4 bald spots.

You did all those things but did you NEED to? Did you have your soil
tested? What's the soil's PH? Is it missing anything nutient wise?

I have been using a mulch mower - should I switch to bag? Different
chemicals? start all over? Pave it? I don't want Fenway Park, just
something that looks somewhat green w/o having to spend a fortune.

Thanks,

Bluesman

What *I* would do is bring a soil sample to your local co-operative
extension agency to be tested. They do this for a small fee. You need to
know the PH of the soil. Also what other nutrients are in it or not in it.
They can tell you what you need to do. Take a small amount from various
areas of the yard and mix it up in a small container and bring that.

You could also do this yourself at home with a home test kit from a garden
center but they have the experience and knowledge!