Old 12-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Bluesman

Default need lawn help...please

Greetings,

I have a small back yard, maybe 50 x 100, that is in horrid shape. A
couple of years ago my dog did his business everywhere, and I think
all that **** messed up the soil.

For the past 3 years I have laid lime, fertilizer and seed, as well as
grub killer the past two years, but my lawn looks like a lot in the
ghetto. About 1/2 grass of 5 different shades of green, 1/4 giant
mutant weeds and 1/4 bald spots.

I have been using a mulch mower - should I switch to bag? Different
chemicals? start all over? Pave it? I don't want Fenway Park, just
something that looks somewhat green w/o having to spend a fortune.

Thanks,

Bluesman
Old 12-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Get rid of the stupid dog. Forget about a lawn and grow a vegetable garden
instead.

Why do you need a lawn anyway? Are you intending to put a miniature golf
course in your back yard?

om...

Old 13-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:10:25 -0400, Bluesman wrote:

Greetings,

I have a small back yard, maybe 50 x 100, that is in horrid shape. A
couple of years ago my dog did his business everywhere, and I think all
that **** messed up the soil.

For the past 3 years I have laid lime, fertilizer and seed, as well as
grub killer the past two years, but my lawn looks like a lot in the
ghetto. About 1/2 grass of 5 different shades of green, 1/4 giant mutant
weeds and 1/4 bald spots.

You did all those things but did you NEED to? Did you have your soil
tested? What's the soil's PH? Is it missing anything nutient wise?

I have been using a mulch mower - should I switch to bag? Different
chemicals? start all over? Pave it? I don't want Fenway Park, just
something that looks somewhat green w/o having to spend a fortune.

Thanks,

Bluesman

What *I* would do is bring a soil sample to your local co-operative
extension agency to be tested. They do this for a small fee. You need to
know the PH of the soil. Also what other nutrients are in it or not in it.
They can tell you what you need to do. Take a small amount from various
areas of the yard and mix it up in a small container and bring that.

You could also do this yourself at home with a home test kit from a garden
center but they have the experience and knowledge!
Old 13-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

I doubt your dog did too much damage - dog waste is essentially a
fertilizer, much the same that any animal manure would be. So is the urine,
although in concentrated amounts it could burn the grass. It is certainly
unlikely that it had any longlasting effect on soil pH or its chemical
composition. I have gardened for years with up to four dogs (now have only
3) and my lawn looks great.

Poor grass is usually the side effect of poor soils. Check on drainage and
soil fertility. You may be much better off simply removing the weeds and
tilling it all up and reseeding after amending to increase fertility and
drainage. Using a mulching mower is recommended above bagging the
clippings - it adds to soil fertility by allowing the clippings to become a
natural compost, reducing the need for much additional fertilizing. Mow
often but long (no shorter than 2 1/2 to 3 inches) and water infrequently
but deeply and limit its chemical dependence to a minimum.

pam - gardengal

Old 13-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Beecrofter

Start with a soil test. Correct the soil as indicated
You may also have some compaction in the areas where the dogs ran or were confined.
Have your cooperative extension reccomend a seed suited for your area.
Mulching is the way to go provided you keep the mower blade sharp.
Your reference to Fenway indicates you are in the northeast.
The Red Sox mantra -wait til next year.