Old 13-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default need lawn help...please

I doubt your dog did too much damage - dog waste is essentially a
fertilizer, much the same that any animal manure would be. So is the urine,
although in concentrated amounts it could burn the grass. It is certainly
unlikely that it had any longlasting effect on soil pH or its chemical
composition. I have gardened for years with up to four dogs (now have only
3) and my lawn looks great.

Poor grass is usually the side effect of poor soils. Check on drainage and
soil fertility. You may be much better off simply removing the weeds and
tilling it all up and reseeding after amending to increase fertility and
drainage. Using a mulching mower is recommended above bagging the
clippings - it adds to soil fertility by allowing the clippings to become a
natural compost, reducing the need for much additional fertilizing. Mow
often but long (no shorter than 2 1/2 to 3 inches) and water infrequently
but deeply and limit its chemical dependence to a minimum.

pam - gardengal

"Bluesman" wrote in message
om...
Greetings,

I have a small back yard, maybe 50 x 100, that is in horrid shape. A
couple of years ago my dog did his business everywhere, and I think
all that **** messed up the soil.

For the past 3 years I have laid lime, fertilizer and seed, as well as
grub killer the past two years, but my lawn looks like a lot in the
ghetto. About 1/2 grass of 5 different shades of green, 1/4 giant
mutant weeds and 1/4 bald spots.

I have been using a mulch mower - should I switch to bag? Different
chemicals? start all over? Pave it? I don't want Fenway Park, just
something that looks somewhat green w/o having to spend a fortune.

Thanks,

Bluesman