Old 13-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrub Bushes

Peter wrote:

I did get the list from the Dept of Natural Resources...and (fortunately have
several deer resistant plants) but the deer will eat almost ANYTHING (even
hollies and carmellia's). Plus they urinated on an ivy bed and two leyland
cypress shrubs destroying all.
So between the drought, floods, (I"m also in a flood plain), and deer,
gardening is about as stress filled as it can be.
Are you in the area ??

I am closer to Reading, PA. I have stayed in Columbia, MD before using
Dulles Airport.

I had a Christmas tree farm which was descimated by deer when we had
very deep snowfalls in 1994 and 1996. I raise quite a few rhododendrons
but must protect them from deer with netting. Deer haven't attacked
Virginia Juniper (red cedar) yet, but will eat almost anything else that
is green. All the usual repellants like soap, hair, urine, eggs, hot
peppers will work for a little while. The only thing that has worked
for me is fencing or netting. I have noticed that many rhododendrons
that have American species heritage are much further down on the deer's
goodie list.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman