Old 14-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Widdups

Default Herbicide recomendations please

I use Calmix. It is a dry granular soil sterilant made by Nufarm. Quite
effective for people with huge farm yards to take care of like myself. I
avoid glyphosate (Round-Up) because it is has no residual killing effect.
The Ortho product 'Total Vegetation Killer' contains Imazapyr, a herbicide
used by farmers like myself on dry pea crops. Rail companies uses the same
product in very high doses to sterilize the gravel around tracks to keep
them free from weeds. The ortho product likely only contains enough active
ingredient for a year or two of control.

Fortunately you happen to live in California, perhaps the world capital of
nasty weed control chemical use (excluding the 3rd world countries of
course). To be fair the USDA has removed most extremely toxic chemicals,
well at least the ones where less toxic options exist (I wonder if Lasso is
still available for use on corn, nasty carcinogenic stuff, not to mention
Methyl Bromide perhaps the only ozone layer destroying chemical still in
mass use). Anyway go to any local strawberry/produce farm with a small
container and they should be able to give you enough chemical to do what you
want for years.

-Joe

"Den" wrote in message
Hello Group:

I've recently brought a house in Southern California (gulp!). I'm now
*very* poor - and have promised my first child to the mortgage company!!

Seriously tho', the driveways, patio and the parkway areas are rather
overrun with weeds. I need to find an easy to apply herbicide to blitz
them - probably will need multiple blitzing.

When I lived in the UK I used to by a Scott's product called Pathclear -

the
active ingredient was a chemical called simazine. It was easy to use -

empty
one sachet to a watering can and water on!

I'd like to avoid the stuff that you dilute two dribbles in a cubic

furlong
of water and then spray on and would prefer the dilute one sachet in a
watering can and water on approach if poss.

Does the group have any recommendations for me?

Cheers

Den