Old 13-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Phisherman

Default Herbicide recomendations please

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:02:52 GMT, "Den" wrote:

Hello Group:

I've recently brought a house in Southern California (gulp!). I'm now
*very* poor - and have promised my first child to the mortgage company!!

Seriously tho', the driveways, patio and the parkway areas are rather
overrun with weeds. I need to find an easy to apply herbicide to blitz
them - probably will need multiple blitzing.

When I lived in the UK I used to by a Scott's product called Pathclear - the
active ingredient was a chemical called simazine. It was easy to use - empty
one sachet to a watering can and water on!

I'd like to avoid the stuff that you dilute two dribbles in a cubic furlong
of water and then spray on and would prefer the dilute one sachet in a
watering can and water on approach if poss.

Does the group have any recommendations for me?

Cheers

Den

I've used a propane torch to clear weeds that grow in driveway cracks
and such. Generally you need just need enough heat to wilt the
leaves. Here in the USA, the popular product is RoundUp. With this
you spray the product onto the leaves. I use it on tough weeds such
as poison ivy (which you won't find in S.California).
Old 13-04-2004, 08:03 PM
David J Bockman

There is an extremely nasty herbicide called Triox, marketed under Ortho as
'Total Vegetation Killer'. Please read the label and, if you decide to use
it, apply with caution. A flametorch works well and won't harm the
enviorment (unless it gets away from you) P

Dave

Old 14-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Widdups

I use Calmix. It is a dry granular soil sterilant made by Nufarm. Quite
effective for people with huge farm yards to take care of like myself. I
avoid glyphosate (Round-Up) because it is has no residual killing effect.
The Ortho product 'Total Vegetation Killer' contains Imazapyr, a herbicide
used by farmers like myself on dry pea crops. Rail companies uses the same
product in very high doses to sterilize the gravel around tracks to keep
them free from weeds. The ortho product likely only contains enough active
ingredient for a year or two of control.

Fortunately you happen to live in California, perhaps the world capital of
nasty weed control chemical use (excluding the 3rd world countries of
course). To be fair the USDA has removed most extremely toxic chemicals,
well at least the ones where less toxic options exist (I wonder if Lasso is
still available for use on corn, nasty carcinogenic stuff, not to mention
Methyl Bromide perhaps the only ozone layer destroying chemical still in
mass use). Anyway go to any local strawberry/produce farm with a small
container and they should be able to give you enough chemical to do what you
want for years.

-Joe

Old 14-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Janice

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:02:52 GMT, "Den" wrote:

Hello Group:

I've recently brought a house in Southern California (gulp!). I'm now
*very* poor - and have promised my first child to the mortgage company!!

Seriously tho', the driveways, patio and the parkway areas are rather
overrun with weeds. I need to find an easy to apply herbicide to blitz
them - probably will need multiple blitzing.

we park in a driveway, and drive in a parkway. ;-)

seriously, when you say the weeds are bad in the driveway, is this a
paved or unpaved driveway? Weeds growing in cracks, between spacers
and such?

When I lived in the UK I used to by a Scott's product called Pathclear - the
active ingredient was a chemical called simazine. It was easy to use - empty
one sachet to a watering can and water on!

You can buy many different forms of concentrated or ready to use
bottles of various formulations from some that foam so you can tell
where you've sprayed and if you've sufficiently covered the pest
plant. They're non selective herbicides though, so you don't want to
get them on anything you want to keep.

There are some ground sterilants, but why go nuts with something like
that when a simpler and probably cheaper, product that will kill the
weeds, yet still allow you options later on by not poisoning your
soil, and who knows what else.

Janice
..