Old 14-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Using (unusual) local trees?

--- Adam Gottschalk wrote:
In article 001d01c421df$c23ce1d0$6401a8c0@Weiser1,
(MartyWeiser) wrote:

but the growth is a bit
coarse so medium to large trees are better.

Could you explain further what you mean by the
above?

Adam,

I think the question is one of proportions. If you
have large leaves, long intenodes, but still want to
bonsai a speciment, you sould consider a bonsai of the
size where the leaves will look natural. So If you
have a Shohin (mame i.e. under 6" to 8" depending on
the prevailing winds*) you might not consider a large
leafed maple for that style, but if you have a 36"
tall tree with a 3" or larger diameter trunk, you
would have the scale to carry the larger leaf size.

Kitsune Miko

* bonsai definitions are not static, the jury is still
out on how tall one can make a short tree.

=====
"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princes(ses) who are only waiting
to see us act just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that
frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that needs our
love." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++