Old 14-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Aaron Hicks

Default Seeking information on 2 dendrobes - aries & schulleri

Dave Gillingham spaketh thusly:

Is it possible that aries & schulleri are outdated synonyms? Can
anyone please point me somewhere useful - but politely ;-) ?

I forget- do we still do "polite" on this newsgroup?

Anyway- here's what VAST at TROPICOS has to say about Dendrobium
aries:

Dendrobium aries J.J. Sm.

Family - ORCHIDACEAE - Orchid Family
Published in:
Bulletin du Jardin Botanique de Buitenzorg, ser. 2, 13: 64. 1914.
{Bull. Jard. Bot. Buitenzorg, ser. 2, ; BPH 258.19S2}
Annotation: N. Guin.

Next Higher Taxon:
Dendrobium Sw.
Nova Acta Regiae Societatis Scientiarum Upsaliensis , ser. 2, 6: 82.
1799.

So, J.J. Smith believed that aries was a legitimate taxon.

Here's what they have to say about D. schulleri:

Dendrobium schulleri J.J. Sm.

Family - ORCHIDACEAE - Orchid Family
Published in:
Bulletin du Jardin Botanique de Buitenzorg, ser. 2, 13: 63. 1914.
{Bull. Jard. Bot. Buitenzorg, ser. 2, ; BPH 258.19S2}
Annotation: Hab. ?

Next Higher Taxon:
Dendrobium Sw.
Nova Acta Regiae Societatis Scientiarum Upsaliensis , ser. 2, 6: 82.
1799.

So, our buddy JJ wraps up another one, written on the previous
page of the same publication.

However, Kew's Orchid Research Newsletter No. 40 notes that
schulleri was moved into a new genus:

Durabaculum schulleri (J.J.Sm.) M.A.Clem. & D.L.Jones in Orchadian 13(11):
489 (2002): Dendrobium schulleri.

I have a sneaky suspicion that durabaculum is one of those
"splitter" genera, off of dendrobium, and only time will tell whether it
is legitimate or not. I don't have any way to get to the publication
Orchadian to determine its veracity or the techniques employed.

I can't seem to find anything online about D. aries (the species,
although it seems to be of great interest to astrologers for whatever
reason). Have you checked the Baker book on dendrobiums? I don't have my
copy at work, or I'd look it up.

The e-mail address in the header isn't valid. Send no mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ