Old 14-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Dave Gillingham

Default Seeking information on 2 dendrobes - aries & schulleri

I have been researching the lineage of one of my dendrobe hybrids on
the RHS website. I can find nothing in any of my books on the above
two species in its pedigree; nor can I find anything at the local
library in "Dendrobiun & its Relatives" (Lavarack, Harris & Stocker).

What I would like is the sort of information in the above book: Genus
section, region of origin, environment, plant & growth habit
description, flowering time & floral description, cultural advice, &
desirably pictures.

Is it possible that aries & schulleri are outdated synonyms? Can
anyone please point me somewhere useful - but politely ;-) ?
Dave Gillingham
Old 14-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:15:20 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

I have been researching the lineage of one of my dendrobe hybrids on
the RHS website. I can find nothing in any of my books on the above
two species in its pedigree; nor can I find anything at the local
library in "Dendrobiun & its Relatives" (Lavarack, Harris & Stocker).

What I would like is the sort of information in the above book: Genus
section, region of origin, environment, plant & growth habit
description, flowering time & floral description, cultural advice, &
desirably pictures.

Is it possible that aries & schulleri are outdated synonyms? Can
anyone please point me somewhere useful - but politely ;-) ?
Dave Gillingham

Dave -
Have you tried looking at the www.orchidspecies.com ? This is a
database of orchid information. Often there are pictures of the
described species as well as synonyms listed. Good luck.
SuE
Old 14-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Aaron Hicks

Dave Gillingham spaketh thusly:

Is it possible that aries & schulleri are outdated synonyms? Can
anyone please point me somewhere useful - but politely ;-) ?

I forget- do we still do "polite" on this newsgroup?

Anyway- here's what VAST at TROPICOS has to say about Dendrobium
aries:

Dendrobium aries J.J. Sm.

Family - ORCHIDACEAE - Orchid Family
Published in:
Bulletin du Jardin Botanique de Buitenzorg, ser. 2, 13: 64. 1914.
{Bull. Jard. Bot. Buitenzorg, ser. 2, ; BPH 258.19S2}
Annotation: N. Guin.

Next Higher Taxon:
Dendrobium Sw.
Nova Acta Regiae Societatis Scientiarum Upsaliensis , ser. 2, 6: 82.
1799.

So, J.J. Smith believed that aries was a legitimate taxon.

Here's what they have to say about D. schulleri:

Dendrobium schulleri J.J. Sm.

Family - ORCHIDACEAE - Orchid Family
Published in:
Bulletin du Jardin Botanique de Buitenzorg, ser. 2, 13: 63. 1914.
{Bull. Jard. Bot. Buitenzorg, ser. 2, ; BPH 258.19S2}
Annotation: Hab. ?

Next Higher Taxon:
Dendrobium Sw.
Nova Acta Regiae Societatis Scientiarum Upsaliensis , ser. 2, 6: 82.
1799.

So, our buddy JJ wraps up another one, written on the previous
page of the same publication.

However, Kew's Orchid Research Newsletter No. 40 notes that
schulleri was moved into a new genus:

Durabaculum schulleri (J.J.Sm.) M.A.Clem. & D.L.Jones in Orchadian 13(11):
489 (2002): Dendrobium schulleri.

I have a sneaky suspicion that durabaculum is one of those
"splitter" genera, off of dendrobium, and only time will tell whether it
is legitimate or not. I don't have any way to get to the publication
Orchadian to determine its veracity or the techniques employed.

I can't seem to find anything online about D. aries (the species,
although it seems to be of great interest to astrologers for whatever
reason). Have you checked the Baker book on dendrobiums? I don't have my
copy at work, or I'd look it up.

The e-mail address in the header isn't valid. Send no mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ
Old 18-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Dave Gillingham

wrote:

[...]

Sue,
Thanks very much - great site & I've bookmarked it. But no D. aries
or D. schulleri :-(

Dave Gillingham
Old 18-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Dave Gillingham

On 14 Apr 2004 10:58:29 -0600, (Aaron Hicks) wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Aaron. I had the same astrological problem myself with D.
aries. My most common reference for the dendrobes is the
aforementioned "Dendrobium & its Relatives". I'll check the local
library network for the Baker book.

Dave Gillingham