Old 15-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Chris_S

Default EBO-Jager, Fully submersible or not?

I've got several EBOs. As far as I know you can put them under water. It's
just not too easy getting to the temp knob when you do that.

I always thought highly of the EBOs in the past, but recently I'm not so
sure anymore. For all their claims about their temp accuracy, they just
don't bare out. Recently I got a digital temp thermometer. I verified it
was correct by checking it against another of my lab grade digitals. It was
within 0.25C. Very good.

But my EBO's were way off. One was 5F high and the other was 3F high. You
set for 80F and the water temp was 85F. I had to set it down to 75F to get
the water at 80F were I wanted it.

Virtually all of the built-in temp gauges on heaters I have tested are
wrong. I just don't trust any of them anymore. My advice is to invest $15
in a digital temp thermometer and just use the heater gauges for adjusting
them. Their accuracy is just too questionable.

Chris.

"Tom B." wrote in message
I just purchased an Ebo-jager 100W heater for my 10g (I know a 50w would

be
better for 10g but it's really a backup heater for my primary tank, a 20g)
tank thinking it was a fully submersible heater. when I got it though it
doesn't say anything specifically about being submersible and it has a

water
line near the top of the heater. Is it submersible or not?

Also, what is a better way to mount a heater, horizontally or vertically?

had the impression the horizontal was better but the instructions that

came
with my other heater (ViaAqua 100w Titanium tube) say not to put it that
way.