Old 15-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Lee B.

Default bottom strainer question.

Ii may be due to the limited "picture" abilities of a text-only site, but
"skimmer" denotes an opening that will catch surface items, such as leaves.
Your drawing indicates the intention of using several sections of 2" pipe or
hose to the bottom. From my (albeit limited) experience, it won't work
without some fancy plumbing work. Water is lazy and takes the path of least
resistance: it won't *suck* from the bottom if it can simply *slurp* off the
surface. Now, if you can figure out some way to close off the surface
opening, forcing the water to be sucked off the bottom, THEN it will work,
kinda like the retro-fit bottom drains (which is what you will have at that
point). But it will have to face down in order to clean the bottom; o'wise,
it will simply be circulating water from about 6" above the bottom, leaving
that 6" to gather crud.

Hope this makes sense . . .

Lee

"DAN" wrote in message
om...
Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |