Old 16-04-2004, 02:07 AM
andrewpreece

Default @ help -- assistance in choosing correct tree type

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , toad
writes

2. our garden it quite small 35 * 35 feet approx and so i would want the
tree to grow upwards but not to grow out back into the garden area too

much.
for this reason i presume i need to look at a few "smaller" thin tree's.

There is at least one Sorbus of very upright habit - think it may be
'Joseph Rock' but may be wrong on that - it is a yellow berried one.
Some of the birches are upright in growth as well.

I have seen this in my local garden centre; it's a fastigiate from of
'Joseph Rock', I believe it's called 'Autumn Spire'. It's an attractive
tree, with each leaf comprised of many leaflets, so giving the "small
leaves" look desired. It is still going to take 10 years or so to get to 15
foot in height, though the trees at the garden centre were about 7 feet tall
already. IIRC they quoted a width of 4 feet at height of 15 feet. Sounds
like five or so of these might fit the bill, to fill a 25 foot gap
eventually. Eventual height is some 25-30 feet. Blossom in spring, good
autumn colours and yellow berries in autumn.

I believe there are fastigiate froms of Hawthorn too.

Andy