Old 15-04-2004, 08:07 PM
toad

Default @ help -- assistance in choosing correct tree type

i'm interested in purchasing a few tree's , but need a little guidance.

I require something that will provide privacy from people walking along a
raised communal path that runs behind our rear garden fence. there is
currently some screening at either end of the fence from tree's on the
public side of the fence (they look like silver birch. tall thin with whispy
small leaves ). this leave approx a gap of around 25 feet wide to fill (
planting on my side of the fence.) The rough criteria are as follows :

1. it would need to grow to around 20 feet minimum ( to provide the screen )
but i would not want it to grow much higher than 30 feet when fully mature.

2. our garden it quite small 35 * 35 feet approx and so i would want the
tree to grow upwards but not to grow out back into the garden area too much.
for this reason i presume i need to look at a few "smaller" thin tree's.

3. i quite like the idea of the tree having lots a small leaves providing
the coverage as this would be appropriate to the surroundings.

4. it would be nice if the branches and leaves did not begin until around
the height of the fence ( approx 7 feet ) from the floor.

5. i would like them to provide cover for a large part of the year if
possible but am not interested in a fur.

6. ***** the quicker growing the better.....

the soil is mainly clay based but the drainage is very good due to a french
drain running alongside the public side of the fence.

can anyone give me any options

thks

Old 16-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Kay Easton

In article , toad
writes

1. it would need to grow to around 20 feet minimum ( to provide the screen )
but i would not want it to grow much higher than 30 feet when fully mature.

Look for trees described as 'suitable for a small garden'. Things like
birch sorbus (mountain ash) Crateagus (hawthorn)

2. our garden it quite small 35 * 35 feet approx and so i would want the
tree to grow upwards but not to grow out back into the garden area too much.
for this reason i presume i need to look at a few "smaller" thin tree's.

There is at least one Sorbus of very upright habit - think it may be
'Joseph Rock' but may be wrong on that - it is a yellow berried one.
Some of the birches are upright in growth as well.

3. i quite like the idea of the tree having lots a small leaves providing
the coverage as this would be appropriate to the surroundings.

Birch and Soprbus would fit this

4. it would be nice if the branches and leaves did not begin until around
the height of the fence ( approx 7 feet ) from the floor.

You can control this by removing the lower branches.

5. i would like them to provide cover for a large part of the year if
possible but am not interested in a fur.

Is it all conifers you are against, or is it just leylandii and the
similar looking cypresses?

You could try a holly which is evergreen, but that is slower growing
than the Sorbuses and birches.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-04-2004, 02:07 AM
andrewpreece

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , toad
writes

2. our garden it quite small 35 * 35 feet approx and so i would want the
tree to grow upwards but not to grow out back into the garden area too

much.
for this reason i presume i need to look at a few "smaller" thin tree's.

There is at least one Sorbus of very upright habit - think it may be
'Joseph Rock' but may be wrong on that - it is a yellow berried one.
Some of the birches are upright in growth as well.

I have seen this in my local garden centre; it's a fastigiate from of
'Joseph Rock', I believe it's called 'Autumn Spire'. It's an attractive
tree, with each leaf comprised of many leaflets, so giving the "small
leaves" look desired. It is still going to take 10 years or so to get to 15
foot in height, though the trees at the garden centre were about 7 feet tall
already. IIRC they quoted a width of 4 feet at height of 15 feet. Sounds
like five or so of these might fit the bill, to fill a 25 foot gap
eventually. Eventual height is some 25-30 feet. Blossom in spring, good
autumn colours and yellow berries in autumn.

I believe there are fastigiate froms of Hawthorn too.

Andy

Old 17-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "andrewpreece" contains these words:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

There is at least one Sorbus of very upright habit - think it may be
'Joseph Rock' but may be wrong on that - it is a yellow berried one.
Some of the birches are upright in growth as well.

I have seen this in my local garden centre; it's a fastigiate from of
'Joseph Rock', I believe it's called 'Autumn Spire'. It's an attractive
tree, with each leaf comprised of many leaflets, so giving the "small
leaves" look desired. It is still going to take 10 years or so to get to 15
foot in height, though the trees at the garden centre were about 7 feet tall
already.

Pot grown GC sorbus will take that long. If you buy the same trees,
slightly smaller, bare-root from a tree nursery (next winter, too late
now)they will grow *very* much faster, and with good planting and care
could reach 15 feet in half the time. Also, they will cost a great deal
less than potgrown from a GC.

Just as an example, I bought a pot-grown Joseph Rock which grew
slowly, though of course it also flowered and fruited. I grew seeds from
its fruit, and within 6 or 7 years the seedlings had outgrown their
parent.

Janet

Janet