Old 17-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Rez

Default Deer repellent

In article , "Mark. Gooley" wrote:

"cpemberton" wrote :
How can I keep deer away from my roses? As soon as they
put out new shoots, they are nipped off by the deer.

A good high fence is the best way.

We have the same problem, except it's the Starving Attack Rabbits.
They drag down any limbs with flowers, demolish them, then to add
insult to injury, don't even eat what they've destroyed. I think
they're attracted to the scent (the roses that came with my place are
fairly strong-scented). Had to surround each bush with a fence.

(How they even manage it escapes me -- one of those roses shoulda been
named "Razor Blades" -- I've sustained some serious cuts from it)

A spray containing garlic, hot pepper, and raw eggs seems to
work for me. The eggs are supposedly the worst part of the
smell for the deer, and the hot pepper is sort of a last defense
to make the roses unpalatable. Need to respray every so often:
after a good rain, or maybe once a week or so otherwise.

I've been told that a solution of cayenne and dish soap also works.
Bonus being dish soap kills aphids and similar nasties.

Used cat litter can work temporarily, but it doesn't last either.

~REZ~