Old 04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding.

Hi I recently purchased a cutting of this and would
like to let it grow wild to thinken. If I do so will
it back bud when I eventually cut it back. I have read
on one place that they are prone to shock when pruned

hard.

My experience with olives is that not much shocks them- they are very
unfussy. When I was in Provence, I saw olive trees in orchards over
a hundred years old that were still budding back like crazy.
However, that's in the Meditteranean, the ideal home for an olive.
You need to put your cutting in a big pot. Then you need to keep it
outdoors as much as possible (given your location in Ontario). My
olive tolerates indoor conditions surprisingly well, but it would
never grow if I didn't put it outside. Even so, it's not a champ in
the girth department, and never will be, unless I move to a warmer
location.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY