Old 04-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Alicia Thompson

Default [IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding.

Hi I recently purchased a cutting of this and would
like to let it grow wild to thinken. If I do so will
it back bud when I eventually cut it back. I have read
on one place that they are prone to shock when pruned
hard. How do I let it it grow bigger(thicker) if they
are not good with hard pruning. (which I would need to
do later)

Thanks in advance.
Alicia z6 Ontario

=====
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Hi I recently purchased a cutting of this and would
like to let it grow wild to thinken. If I do so will
it back bud when I eventually cut it back. I have read
on one place that they are prone to shock when pruned

hard.

My experience with olives is that not much shocks them- they are very
unfussy. When I was in Provence, I saw olive trees in orchards over
a hundred years old that were still budding back like crazy.
However, that's in the Meditteranean, the ideal home for an olive.
You need to put your cutting in a big pot. Then you need to keep it
outdoors as much as possible (given your location in Ontario). My
olive tolerates indoor conditions surprisingly well, but it would
never grow if I didn't put it outside. Even so, it's not a champ in
the girth department, and never will be, unless I move to a warmer
location.
--
Nina Shishkoff

Riverhead, NY

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Iris Cohen

Hi I recently purchased a cutting of this and would like to let it grow wild
to thinken. If I do so will it back bud when I eventually cut it back.

Do you have a standard Olea europaea or a dwarf cultivar like "Little Ollie?"
From my experience with "Little Ollie," it buds back very readily. The trouble
is, this cultivar is patented, so, like Ficus 'TooLittle,' it is usually sold
with a wink instead of a label.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 05-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Alicia Thompson

Iris I had no idea there was a dwarf Olive. It is
labeled "Olea europea" but it says the mature height
is 24-48". I was just assuming the label was wrong and
it meant 24-48'. The foliage doesn't look very
"dwarfish" the longest leaf is 3". How long is the
foliage of the dwarf Olive? Thanks for the info.

Alicia Thompson
z6 Ontario

--- Iris Cohen wrote: Hi I
recently purchased a cutting of this and
would like to let it grow wild
to thicken. If I do so will it back bud when I
eventually cut it back.

Do you have a standard Olea europaea or a dwarf
cultivar like "Little Ollie?"
From my experience with "Little Ollie," it buds back
very readily. The trouble

Old 07-02-2003, 05:14 PM
Steven-Royal Gold Reps

If you want to see how drastically an olive can be cut back and grow
then you absolutely MUST go to this site.

http://www.dugzbonsai.com/

You had better be sitting down when you take his olive tour.

Steven

(Alicia Thompson) wrote in message oo.com...
Hi I recently purchased a cutting of this and would
like to let it grow wild to thinken. If I do so will
it back bud when I eventually cut it back. I have read
on one place that they are prone to shock when pruned
hard. How do I let it it grow bigger(thicker) if they
are not good with hard pruning. (which I would need to
do later)

Thanks in advance.
Alicia z6 Ontario

=====
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Post your free ad now!
http://personals.yahoo.ca

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Jim Lewis

If you want to see how drastically an olive can be cut back and
grow
then you absolutely MUST go to this site.

http://www.dugzbonsai.com/

You had better be sitting down when you take his olive tour.

Steven

Yeah. Some of those pics were in the winter 2002 ABS Journal --
including that very dangerous-looking shot of chain sawing a tree
wired onto a small turntable. (!)

David Thoreau - Walden

Old 07-02-2003, 06:12 PM
kevin bailey

Thanks for posting this excellent URL. The amount of root reduction and
new root production achieved is absolutely amazing.

The only note of caution I would add is that the trimming being done
with a razor sharp knife must always be done AWAY from the body. I have
no pulse in my left wrist due to a momentary lapse of concentration when
I first took up carving as a teenager!

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

If you want to see how drastically an olive can be cut back and grow
then you absolutely MUST go to this site.

http://www.dugzbonsai.com/

You had better be sitting down when you take his olive tour.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Chris Cochrane

Hi Jim.

Thanks for the great pointer to www.dugzbonsai.com/.

His sale material titled "California Juniper 2" has a view that shouldn't be
missed. From the horizon to the left, the photographer might be
understating the angle upon which this hoary tree sits. Nice space shared
in a great photo http://www.dugzbonsai.com/forsale3.htm!

Best wishes,
Chris

Old 07-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Alicia Thompson

First thanks for recammending I sit down. I deffinatly
had the wrong idea about how hardy these trees are.
Thanks for the link. I still have a shocked look on my
face and I am going to look at the olive tour again.

Alicia Thompson
z6 Ontario Canada

--- Steven-Royal Gold Reps
wrote: If you want to see how drastically an olive
[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Jerry

Meislik++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --