Old 18-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Mike Lyle

Default New wooden railway sleepers?

"David Pearson" wrote in message ...
Hi,

sleepers are useful in the garden, but as the UK's railways
are effectively open sewers, old sleepers are filthy.

Can anyone tell me if new sleepers
are produced from certified sustainably
managed forests ("ethical wood")?

I believe this country lost most of its stock of railway sleepers
during the disgraceful mishandling of FMD, so apparently we actually
now import used sleepers from eastern and central Europe, and I
imagine they're equally shitty if that really worries you. Brand new
timbers would be very expensive, but as long as they were softwood I'm
pretty sure they'd be from managed forests.

Perhaps making hollow box girders with exterior ply and 3x1 treated
timber might be cheaper. Certainly lighter, and could be made to the
exact dimensions you want.

Mike.