Old 18-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Janice

Default Fruit and Nut tree in N. Illinois?

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:49:33 GMT, wrote:

consider that fruit trees require spraying and upkeep. not doing so provides a
breeding ground for pests of fruit trees that can affect commercial crops or even
neighbors crops. look around the area and if there are apple trees that are
untended, forget apples unless you like the idea of spraying every 7 days.
nut trees are less fussy. most nuts in our neck of the woods requires a sledge
hammer to open. Ingrid

Ignoramus12245 wrote:

I would like to get rid of some useless trees and replace them with,
first, fruit trees (for example, apple trees), and, second, with trees
that produce edible nuts.

What kinds of fruit and nut trees can I plant in this climate?
(Northern Illinois)

And if there are squirrels in your area, unless you plant so many that
even they can't cut them all off, you'll not see many nuts..and it
will take quite a few years for them to bear. Find out what Zone
you're in, and consult the catalogs, they state the zone hardiness
for what they sell. Talk with your local Land Grant University County
Agricultural Agents.. master gardeners see if they have any
information of what grows well in your area.

I tried to grow a sweet heart apricot, it has an almond like kernel.
Squirrels cut every single one .. but one at the very tip of a small
branch, from the tree while they were still green! I figured there is
no way I could grow nut trees anywhere there are squirrels present.
Killing them only brings in more as they are territorial, kill 1, 15
will try to take its territory.

I do go along with the advice above, if you are in an area where there
are others growing apples or pears nearby untended, codling moth will
be horrible. I can usually grow peaches in my area, zone 6, without
too many pests as codling moth prefers apples and pears to peaches,
and I don't have plum curculio so I figure I'd likely be able to grow
some plums/prunes here, nectarines too, but no apples or pears or
cherries. Cherry tree that should be cut down next door that is
totally uncared for.

I planted blueberries, didn't think they were bothered by codling
moth, but after I'd spent the money to plant them, I found out that is
one of the pests on the list along with the cherry maggot fly that
infest them. I have a feeling I'm going to have to build a screen
house to keep the pests out as well as the birds should they live and
produce anything. *sigh* never would have planted them had I known
codling moth and cherry maggot would get into them as I'm not
spraying.

Janice

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/