Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Steveo

Default Elm Tree stories

"RoyDMercer" wrote:
When I was a kid, my grandfather built a treehouse for me in an old elm
tree (American Elm). Many hours of my youth were spent in that beautiful
old tree. Years later the tree was overtaken by Dutch elm disease.

I've planted three elm trees in my yard (two lacebarks and one cedar
elm), but after checking around my neighborhood of about 300 homes, I
can't find a single elm tree anywhere. My neighborhood is only 3-6 years
old. I see them used quite often in the commercial environment, but in
newer residential neighborhoods they are extremely hard to find.

It seems many people don't understand the great attributes these trees
have as shade trees. Are there any of you out there who have come to
this same conclusion? Does anyone have any elm tree stories (good or
bad)?

Dutch elm disease was first found in the United States in Ohio in 1930. It
has now spread throughout North America and has destroyed over half the elm
trees in the northern United Sates. The disease has been reported in all
states except the desert Southwest.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...ees/pp324w.htm