Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 PM
RoyDMercer

Default Elm Tree stories

When I was a kid, my grandfather built a treehouse for me in an old elm tree
(American Elm). Many hours of my youth were spent in that beautiful old
tree. Years later the tree was overtaken by Dutch elm disease.

I've planted three elm trees in my yard (two lacebarks and one cedar elm),
but after checking around my neighborhood of about 300 homes, I can't find a
single elm tree anywhere. My neighborhood is only 3-6 years old. I see
them used quite often in the commercial environment, but in newer
residential neighborhoods they are extremely hard to find.

It seems many people don't understand the great attributes these trees have
as shade trees. Are there any of you out there who have come to this same
conclusion? Does anyone have any elm tree stories (good or bad)?

Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Steveo

"RoyDMercer" wrote:
When I was a kid, my grandfather built a treehouse for me in an old elm
tree (American Elm). Many hours of my youth were spent in that beautiful
old tree. Years later the tree was overtaken by Dutch elm disease.

I've planted three elm trees in my yard (two lacebarks and one cedar
elm), but after checking around my neighborhood of about 300 homes, I
can't find a single elm tree anywhere. My neighborhood is only 3-6 years
old. I see them used quite often in the commercial environment, but in
newer residential neighborhoods they are extremely hard to find.

It seems many people don't understand the great attributes these trees
have as shade trees. Are there any of you out there who have come to
this same conclusion? Does anyone have any elm tree stories (good or
bad)?

Dutch elm disease was first found in the United States in Ohio in 1930. It
has now spread throughout North America and has destroyed over half the elm
trees in the northern United Sates. The disease has been reported in all
states except the desert Southwest.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...ees/pp324w.htm
Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 PM
RoyDMercer

"Steveo" wrote in message
"RoyDMercer" wrote:
[...]

You bring up a good point. I think this is one of the biggest reasons why
people shy away from all varieties of elm, because they are afraid of Dutch
elm disease. However the varieties sold today are highly resistant to Dutch
elm disease and it's very unlikely anyone would have a problem with it. The
American elm was the variety which was devastated by the disease. American
elm trees have disappeared from the tree selling market.