Old 18-04-2004, 09:04 PM

Default Fruit and Nut tree in N. Illinois?

I said, nuts are less fussy, meaning no spray. but frankly, the chestnuts are asian
and not as palatable. thin walled walnuts dont grow up here, filberts are not really
winter hardy to N. Illinois. cherry & pear get fire blight, cherries are gone
without complete protection, pears get fungus and other pests. the taste persimmons
are not hardy, hardy ones will barely get ripe same for paw paw.
yes, grapes of the hardy variety (seeded) type do fine with a single dormant spray
and careful culture to keep air moving. mulberry, yes. hardy kiwi YES!!!!! seems
our squirrels dont know they are edible. but they do ripen at individual rate and
must be picked daily .. otoh, no peeling. raspberries, of course. INgrid

(simy1) wrote:

wrote in message ...
consider that fruit trees require spraying and upkeep. not doing so provides a
breeding ground for pests of fruit trees that can affect commercial crops or even
neighbors crops. look around the area and if there are apple trees that are
untended, forget apples unless you like the idea of spraying every 7 days.
nut trees are less fussy. most nuts in our neck of the woods requires a sledge
hammer to open. Ingrid

that is not quite right. chestnuts, walnuts and filberts require no
spray, and (to answer another post) chestnuts are not accessible to
squirrels. Cherry, pear, persimmon, serviceberry, mulberry and pawpaw
require no spraying. If one is willing to build a trellis, hardy kiwi
and grapes require no spray. Of course, blueberry, blackberry, and
raspberry require no spray. If the OP selects some of the trees above,
he can get fruits continuously from late june to november.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.