Old 19-04-2004, 07:04 AM
gregpresley

Default riverbank plants

physostegia (obedience plant) is native to moist/boggy sunny areas, although
it doesn't require those conditions. japanese iris, southern (louisiana)
iris. ladies' slippers, if you can find them. mimulus (monkey flower) loves
damp, boggy conditions - you might have to grow it from seed. Perennial
lobelias, especially the red kind - I think it's lobelia syphilitica, but I
can't remember - are native to sunny river banks in north america , and can
tolerate swampy conditions. I would also look for berry producing plants
that like moisture, for winter interest.
"Judith Truly" wrote in message
ink.net...
I live on a riverbank. The river floods two or three times a year and
planting area will stay under water sometimes as long as four or five

days.
I want to find some flowering plants (nothing to cut off the river view)
that will tolerate such conditions. It's fairly shady as there are two

huge
sycamores on the bank.
I know that daylilies are not bothered and some forms of iris. I have both
of these and they work.
I'd like to find more of a variety so that I can have bloom in all

seasons.
I live in southwestern Ohio, zone 6.
Any suggestions?