Old 18-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Judith Truly

Default riverbank plants

I live on a riverbank. The river floods two or three times a year and
planting area will stay under water sometimes as long as four or five days.
I want to find some flowering plants (nothing to cut off the river view)
that will tolerate such conditions. It's fairly shady as there are two huge
sycamores on the bank.
I know that daylilies are not bothered and some forms of iris. I have both
of these and they work.
I'd like to find more of a variety so that I can have bloom in all seasons.
I live in southwestern Ohio, zone 6.
Any suggestions?

Old 19-04-2004, 06:03 AM
nswong

Hi Judith Truly,

I live on a riverbank. The river floods two or three times a year and
planting area will stay under water sometimes as long as four or five

days.
I want to find some flowering plants (nothing to cut off the river view)
that will tolerate such conditions. It's fairly shady as there are two

huge
sycamores on the bank.

I will suggested you have a walk along the riverbank, and see if something
growing there are what you like, than either get it from the owner or
nursery.
Sometime plant died not because can't tolerate the covering of water, but
may be the PH of the water at that period. e.g. salt water cause by high sea
level.

Regards,
Wong

Old 19-04-2004, 07:04 AM
gregpresley

physostegia (obedience plant) is native to moist/boggy sunny areas, although
it doesn't require those conditions. japanese iris, southern (louisiana)
iris. ladies' slippers, if you can find them. mimulus (monkey flower) loves
damp, boggy conditions - you might have to grow it from seed. Perennial
lobelias, especially the red kind - I think it's lobelia syphilitica, but I
can't remember - are native to sunny river banks in north america , and can
tolerate swampy conditions. I would also look for berry producing plants
that like moisture, for winter interest.
ink.net...

Old 20-04-2004, 07:02 AM
nswong

Hi Judith Truly,

Due to UseNet convention does not encourage private email, so I post my
reply here. I hope you don't mind. :-)

I live fr inland so salt is not a problem.

Sea water are problem for those near sea, it may not happen yearly, can be
once in the ten year.
If your land are sit between wetland and river, you may face problem of low
PH water that contain high iron at dry period.
Debris and mud coated on plant bring by flood will kill a lot of plant.
The sharp change of PH due to flood water will weaken plant.

I have seen several wildflowers
that seem to do well

For every new land, I will first put in those I found nearby, and these
plant will remaind as majority. If something bad happen, it may come out
these plant are those still remain there. These may not be wild flower, can
be those ecotype that cultivate by local people, that had go through
generation.

try to find them
in the nursery.

Try to get those you found near your place, even they are the same species,
but those ecotype you found had go through generation of selection, and
having better chance of doing well than those from nursery. For those wild
flower, if the law allowed, collect some seeds or cutting, but should less
than 20% of what you found.

Thanks again.

You are welcome. :-)

Sorry for my bad English. g