Old 19-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Sacha

Default Tree identification please

Rod18/4/04 7:40
om

On 17 Apr 2004 06:42:10 -0700,
(Robert E A
Harvey) wrote:

I'e got this delicate little tree in the garden. At 25 years approx
it has stretched up to about 6m tall, and is about 150mm diameter at
the bole. It has tri-lobed divided leaves with pointed tips, and a
smooth, non-waxy surface.

My first thought was a form of Acer negundo, second thought was 'but
they have pinnate leaves' - then I looked at this.
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu:16080/c..._Images/Acer/A
_negundo/Three_leaf_forms_MC.jpg
It is a bit early for acers to be in flower though.

I emailed a pic to David Poole and got this reply:

"It is an Acer and it is almost certainly the highly variable Acer negundo -
and the images seem to portray mainly male inflorescences they are very
typical of the species. I've attached a pic of this Acer at a slightly
earlier stage and it is virtually identical. This Acer can carry numerous
leaf types on the same tree or just a single leaf type. Geographical
variations may exhibit pinnate, ternate or even simple leaves and leaf
margins can be serrated, indented or not."

For those who joined the group recent, David was - and I hope he will be
again when less busy - an immensely knowledgeable member of urg. I've never
known him wrongly identify anything.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk