Old 19-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Stephen Howard

Default infra red heaters

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:45:27 +0100, "Nick Wagg"
wrote:

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

this may or may not be the correct place to post this message, sorry if it
is not.

Has anyone had experience of heating up an outdoor area with a 1.3kw

infrra
red heater.

If by this you mean one of those things like a cross between a gas fire and
a standard lamp, my experience is that you end up with a hot head and
shoulders and cold feet and legs. A most unpleasant combination.

Absolutely!
I use IR heaters in my workshop, and in a ceiling mounted position
they work fine - but then I'm sitting down.
Move much more than a couple of yards away and they're practically
ineffectual. Stand too close to the heater and it can give you a dose
of 'sun burn'.

I sometimes see industrial IR heaters used on gigs during the summer (
to compensate for the unpredictability of the English summer, no doubt
) and these are huge vertically mounted things, about as tall as
person, and containing several elements. Probably about 5kw in total?
These seem to be efficient at a range of several yards.

Regards.

www.shwoodwind.co.uk