Old 18-04-2004, 08:05 PM
john Smith

Default infra red heaters

Hello,

this may or may not be the correct place to post this message, sorry if it
is not.

Has anyone had experience of heating up an outdoor area with a 1.3kw infrra
red heater.

As summer and then autumn is fast approaching I would like to enjoy my
garden for that little while longer.

Any advice would be gladly received

Thanks in advance

Old 19-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Nick Wagg

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

this may or may not be the correct place to post this message, sorry if it
is not.

Has anyone had experience of heating up an outdoor area with a 1.3kw

infrra
red heater.

If by this you mean one of those things like a cross between a gas fire and
a standard lamp, my experience is that you end up with a hot head and
shoulders and cold feet and legs. A most unpleasant combination.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 19-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:45:27 +0100, "Nick Wagg"
wrote:

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

this may or may not be the correct place to post this message, sorry if it
is not.

Has anyone had experience of heating up an outdoor area with a 1.3kw

infrra
red heater.

If by this you mean one of those things like a cross between a gas fire and
a standard lamp, my experience is that you end up with a hot head and
shoulders and cold feet and legs. A most unpleasant combination.

Absolutely!
I use IR heaters in my workshop, and in a ceiling mounted position
they work fine - but then I'm sitting down.
Move much more than a couple of yards away and they're practically
ineffectual. Stand too close to the heater and it can give you a dose
of 'sun burn'.

I sometimes see industrial IR heaters used on gigs during the summer (
to compensate for the unpredictability of the English summer, no doubt
) and these are huge vertically mounted things, about as tall as
person, and containing several elements. Probably about 5kw in total?
These seem to be efficient at a range of several yards.

Regards.

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 19-04-2004, 02:10 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

this may or may not be the correct place to post this message, sorry if it
is not.

Has anyone had experience of heating up an outdoor area with a 1.3kw

infrra
red heater.

As summer and then autumn is fast approaching I would like to enjoy my
garden for that little while longer.

Any advice would be gladly received

From experience of commercial premises they seem to work best when combined
with a lot of shade e.g. on an outside terrace shielded from the wind on at
least 2 sides.

Logical; if you are in freely moving air then the warmed air will quickly
blow away and you are left with radiant warming of the upper parts of your
body.

So a nice south facing pergola, angle where two walls join, or similar
sheltered are should work O.K. for a slightly chilly day.

In the middle of a draught, and you will need a lot of radiant heat to stop
you from shivering :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Old 19-04-2004, 08:13 PM
john Smith

Thanks for all your replies, I was hoping for someone to make the decision
for me
as it still seems to be 50-50.

Can any-one recommend anything else, i.e. the gas powered patio heaters that
are now
so readily available in places like BQ and Costco

Thanks again

Old 20-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Nick Wagg

"john Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for all your replies, I was hoping for someone to make the decision
for me
as it still seems to be 50-50.

Can any-one recommend anything else, i.e. the gas powered patio heaters

that
are now
so readily available in places like BQ and Costco

BTW, all radiant heaters are "infra red". That's because heat
radiation is just light with a frequency below red in the spectrum.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 20-04-2004, 10:09 AM
no spam here, thanks

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:51:01 +0100, "john Smith"
wrote:

Can any-one recommend anything else,

Wooly jumpers?
Old 20-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Jane Ransom

In article ibVgc.152$I%3.137@newsfe1-win, john Smith
writes
Thanks for all your replies, I was hoping for someone to make the decision
for me
as it still seems to be 50-50.

OK - here goes - I can't think of anything more stupid than trying to
heat the great outdoors.

Here we are, having to put up with gigantic, grotesque windmills, that
generate piddling amounts of electricity (and that only when the wind
blows), spoiling thousands of acres of beautiful countryside in order to
reduce our greenhouse gas emissions . . . . and you want to produce
more greenhouse gases to heat your patio ((

Does that help you to make up your mind????
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 20-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Jane Ransom wrote in message ...
In article ibVgc.152$I%3.137@newsfe1-win, john Smith
writes
Thanks for all your replies, I was hoping for someone to make the decision
for me
as it still seems to be 50-50.

OK - here goes - I can't think of anything more stupid than trying to
heat the great outdoors.

Here we are, having to put up with gigantic, grotesque windmills, that
generate piddling amounts of electricity (and that only when the wind
blows), spoiling thousands of acres of beautiful countryside in order to
reduce our greenhouse gas emissions . . . . and you want to produce
more greenhouse gases to heat your patio ((

Does that help you to make up your mind????

Hear, hear! (Except that I rather like the windmills.)

What's people's experience with those "cheminea" things?

Mike.
Old 20-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Mike Lyle
writes

Hear, hear! (Except that I rather like the windmills.)

You wait until there isn't a hill in the country that doesn't have these
3 to 400 foot monsters on them. When you realise that even with that
number they won't satisfy 5% of our total needs, I wonder if you will
still 'rather like' them (((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 20-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

this may or may not be the correct place to post this message, sorry

if it
is not.

Has anyone had experience of heating up an outdoor area with a 1.3kw

infrra
red heater.

As summer and then autumn is fast approaching I would like to enjoy

my
garden for that little while longer.

Any advice would be gladly received

When you see anything advertised as an"infra-red heater", your first
reaction should be to suspect a con trick. Infra-red radiation is
ordinary radiant heat such as is produced by any piece of metal wire
or a lump of coal which is allowed to reach a temperature high enough
to glow red.

Franz

Old 20-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"john Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for all your replies, I was hoping for someone to make the

decision
for me
as it still seems to be 50-50.

Can any-one recommend anything else, i.e. the gas powered patio

heaters that
are now
so readily available in places like BQ and Costco

What is wrong with a 4 to 10 gallon drum with holes pierced in all
round, filled with coal and set alight? A brazier, in fact.
Besides, you can barbecue the occasional lump of meat on it.

Franz

Old 26-04-2004, 03:06 AM
martin

wrote: