Old 19-04-2004, 02:10 PM
D Russell

Default New wooden railway sleepers?

"David Pearson" wrote in message
Hi,

sleepers are useful in the garden, but as the UK's railways
are effectively open sewers, old sleepers are filthy.

Can anyone tell me if new sleepers
are produced from certified sustainably
managed forests ("ethical wood")?

Thanks!
David Pearson

We bought ours brand new, still only £35 each, yes they are softwood, but
being untreated they do not leech nasty chemicals either into the ground or
into our clothes. Mind you I only use them as teh foundation of the
greenhouse, like to see a wind try to blow them away.

Anyway, most good lumber yards will be able to supply new wood suitable to
be used as railway sleepers, and I wouldn't have thought they'd cost much
more than £30 each. Of course make sure you get them delivered, they are
blooming heavy.

Duncan