Old 19-04-2004, 03:07 PM
D Russell

Default Vegetables for Autumn Show

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
"D Russell" wrote in message

snip
Thanks all for your thoughts.

John - we had one classic last year - a photo class clearly said "with
titles". Mine which was clearly NOT the best was the only one with a
title and so would have won by default. However being the
public-spirited person (mug) that I am, I knew most of the other
entrants and so went round and told them all! My Dad got a prize in
that class (after hurridly writing a "title" using my cardboard and my
pen!) I didn't get anything. Mind you his photo WAS better than
mine.....

Duncan - you should defintely enter your potted banana! We don't have
such a class - the foliage plant ones all specifically limit the size
of the pot, I wonder if that's why!?

Both Duncan and Jayne suggest squashes, so I've bought some
"mini-squash" seeds and we'll see how they look. I think the key to
the "tray of five veggies" might also be to do something different
from the usual potatoes, carrots, onions, etc, so we'll see.

Progress reports to follow!

Heather

Yea I'd love to enter the banana plant, my only problem is transport. The
banana "tree" last year reached about 14 foot tall, in the pot, I had to tie
the stem to something to stop it falling over.

I have threatened to take it down for the last two years, but I cannot get
over the image of myself walking about 2 miles with a 14 foot banana tree in
a wheelbarrow, right through the town. I just can't see any other form of
transport being suitable, anyone got any ideas ?, it would be hilarious I
must admit.

Duncan