Old 12-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Heather

Default Vegetables for Autumn Show

The garden club which my Dad is involved with has its Autumn show
first w/e of Sept. It's a typical village fruit, veg, flower and
produce show - not a massive amount of entries but those who do enter
take it quite seriously. Most entries are from people who grow
vegetables to eat and then pick the best for the show rather than
those who grow specifically for the show.

In previous years I've not entered the fruit and veg classes but have
stuck to the photography section. Last year I entered some stems of
shrubs, perennials and "any six garden flower stems" and throoughly
enjoyed myself (third prize for the shrubs!) This year I'm intending
to be a bit more adventurous (see my potato in pot thread)

I have a "new" (to me) garden wihout the space for a proper vegetable
patch so veggies will have to be grown in the borders - mostly
sloping, well drained soil facing west and prone to being shady for
about half the garden - or in grow bags on part of my sunny,
west-facing deck or in bags/pots round the front on my east-facing
(sun till about 1pm) gravel bit.

Any suggestions as to what I might try that won't take TOO much time
and effort and might result in a few more classes being entered?
Thoughts so far:
Herbs (there's a class for five types of culinary or floral herbs)
Cherry tomatoes
Chilli peppers

What else can I get away with in pots/growbags that will be ready in
September?

Any other village show growers out there with any hints and tips? For
those who haven't been along to their village show I would thoroughly
recommend it - ours is fun without being TOO serious or competitive -
a great experience.

Heather
Old 12-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Jayne

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Should be fun Heather! What about pumpkins or squash? I grew some small
"Patty Pan" squash in pots last year. Or radishes which are super easy.

I also entered our village show for the first time last year & actually got
a few 1sts - for my blackberry jam (I could feel all the local WI's
disgust... LOL), best cut flower (gladioli) & both my children won prizes
for colouring in & photos. I didn't enter veggies but may give it a go this
year.

Jayne

Old 13-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello Heather

In article ,
Heather wrote:
[...]

Go for it ! Most village shows badly need new competitors, but make sure you
check up on the rules. It is very frustrating to enter something that is
obviously the best, but be disqualified for not being according to class.

Common mistakes are :-

Inability to count (Exhibiting 5 or 7 when 6 are called for.)

Wrong size eg Onions up to 250 gm and yours weigh 255 gm

Carrots trimmed when the schedule says with foliage

Mixed sizes ie if the class is for say 6 tomatoes they must all be as near as
possible the same size, even if this means leaving out your two bigger best
ones.

Best of luck

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England
Old 14-04-2004, 11:33 AM
D Russell

"Eur Ing John Rye" wrote in message
Hello Heather

In article ,
Heather wrote:
[...]

He he, my own "classic" was placing my lovely onions for the kitchen in the
onions under 3" diameter section, and finding them dis-qualified, wouldn't
have been so bad but there was only one entry in the onions for the kitchen,
so that was a guaranteed 2nd place gone. Live and learn.

I do so want to enter my 12 foot banana plant in a pot in the, "anything in
a pot", section, just to see what would happen.

As for suggestions, i'd say grow unusual stuff, Aubergines, odd squashes;
butternut etc, that sort of thing rarely has anyone else growing it. Sneaky
way to win a few prizes.

Duncan

Old 14-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Heather

"D Russell" wrote in message ...
"Eur Ing John Rye" wrote in message
Go for it ! Most village shows badly need new competitors, but make sure
you
check up on the rules. It is very frustrating to enter something that is
obviously the best, but be disqualified for not being according to class.

I do so want to enter my 12 foot banana plant in a pot in the, "anything in
a pot", section, just to see what would happen.
As for suggestions, i'd say grow unusual stuff, Aubergines, odd squashes;
butternut etc, that sort of thing rarely has anyone else growing it. Sneaky
way to win a few prizes.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

John - we had one classic last year - a photo class clearly said "with
titles". Mine which was clearly NOT the best was the only one with a
title and so would have won by default. However being the
public-spirited person (mug) that I am, I knew most of the other
entrants and so went round and told them all! My Dad got a prize in
that class (after hurridly writing a "title" using my cardboard and my
pen!) I didn't get anything. Mind you his photo WAS better than
mine.....

Duncan - you should defintely enter your potted banana! We don't have
such a class - the foliage plant ones all specifically limit the size
of the pot, I wonder if that's why!?

Both Duncan and Jayne suggest squashes, so I've bought some
"mini-squash" seeds and we'll see how they look. I think the key to
the "tray of five veggies" might also be to do something different
from the usual potatoes, carrots, onions, etc, so we'll see.

Progress reports to follow!

Heather
Old 14-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Mike Lyle

"D Russell" wrote in message ...
"Eur Ing John Rye" wrote [...]
In article ,
Heather wrote:

[...]
I have a "new" (to me) garden wihout the space for a proper vegetable
patch so veggies will have to be grown in the borders - [...] - or in grow bags on part of my sunny,
west-facing deck or in bags/pots[...].
Any suggestions as to what I might try that won't take TOO much time
and effort and might result in a few more classes being entered?

[...]
What else can I get away with in pots/growbags that will be ready in
September?

[...]
As for suggestions, i'd say grow unusual stuff, Aubergines, odd squashes;
butternut etc, that sort of thing rarely has anyone else growing it. Sneaky
way to win a few prizes.

Unusual stuff is clearly excellent advice, both for fun and for
showing. Squashes could be tied up supports to take less space and get
better light and air.

I reckon you can grow almost anything in containers, but the
"straight-up-and-down" things probably make more sense there or in
flower-beds than wide things like cabbages or sprawlers like peas.
Carrots, leeks, celery, radishes both European and Asian come to mind;
I suspect parsnips wouldn't work well in containers for show purposes,
as they want depth, but a few among the flowers would be ok.
Watercress will root from the stems you buy in the shop. I've never
had decent results from ginger or sweet potatoes, but you may be more
skilful: though it's too late this year.

Oats, wheat, and barley may not be much use for the show, but they
make lovely "flower" arrangements when cut just before ripening: I've
just moved house, and chucked out two big vases full of wheat which
had begraced the kitchen for at least ten years! I grew it in the
lawn, but cereals will be happy in containers.

I have known people who grow a plant called cannabis sativa in pots,
but for some reason they never seemed to enter their best specimens in
the show! (A Palestinian friend many years ago now took great pleasure
in telling the local senior police officer somewhere in Jordan what
the attractive strange plant in the tub beside his front door actually
was...)

Mike.
Old 19-04-2004, 03:07 PM
D Russell

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
"D Russell" wrote in message

snip
[...]

Yea I'd love to enter the banana plant, my only problem is transport. The
banana "tree" last year reached about 14 foot tall, in the pot, I had to tie
the stem to something to stop it falling over.

I have threatened to take it down for the last two years, but I cannot get
over the image of myself walking about 2 miles with a 14 foot banana tree in
a wheelbarrow, right through the town. I just can't see any other form of
transport being suitable, anyone got any ideas ?, it would be hilarious I
must admit.

Duncan

Old 19-04-2004, 03:08 PM
shazzbat

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
"D Russell" wrote in message

[...]

I'm reminded of someone a few years ago who entered a photo comp. whose
theme was "the bays and coves of Cornwall" He took a picture of a 90 year
old geezer leaning on a five bar gate and titled it "old cove"

He won!

Steve

Show Vegetables No Name United Kingdom 1 17-08-2012 06:37 PM
Nov 11 - Autumn Leaves Autumn Sky_8129.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 11-11-2007 10:10 PM
Hampton Court Flower Show: photos from the 2003 show UKStudentLife.com United Kingdom 8 13-07-2003 04:44 AM
Hampton Court Flower Show: photos from the 2003 show UKStudentLife.com Gardening 7 13-07-2003 04:44 AM
vegetables - When to plant? dt Texas 1 24-03-2003 02:44 PM