Old 19-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Default what is best nutrient for growing plants

"Nivek" wrote in message ...
"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
om...
There has to be something better than the regular high nitrogen fertilizer

right?

You can always defecate (expulsion of feces through the anus) on your
plants. It may smell like sh*t for a while but it works. ;-)

Needless to say, that won't work. I thought it was a perfectly
reasonable question, Lisa. Best to look it up in a proper book, which
is unlikely to reply with gratuitous impertinence (I take it the
massive cross-posting was what annoyed our friend). Meanwhile, the
usual balanced fertilizers will feed most plants ok: follow the
instructions on the packet, and don't overdo it. The high-nitrogen
ones are more for leaf growth -- like the ones farmers use for grass.
There's no long-term substitute for a well-nourished soil, though, as
plants need more than just the three main chemicals: in fact, most of
the time what they really crave is good moisture-retention coupled
with aeration such as they get from a soil rich in the breakdown
products of other plants.

Houseplants and others in containers are the main ones which want a
boost from the packet. Changing their soil or compost every couple of
years is a good idea for many of them.

A few plants need special diets; but you probably haven't got one of
these.

Mike.